Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I'll take two or t'ree of them boudins over der by dem boiled mudbugs. They're like brats right?

Mardi Gras in Chicago looks good over der in Berwyn. Fitzgerald's has the perpetually touring Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas along with a buffet provided by Wishbone restaurant.

Chicago doesn't hurt for cajun food - Heaven on Seven, Wishbone, Dixie Kitchen come to mind just to name a few. There's even a Pappas Seafood, a Houston-based franchise, out in the 'burbs.

But how often can you sit down to a plate of red beans & rice and catch a good zydeco act?

Things start up around 6:30 PM tonight.

This brings to mind the last time I ate at Wishbone. It was just a week or so after Katrina. I instantly recognized our waitress' Louisiana accent and commented on it. She seemed pleased that I noticed but then when I asked her if she had any relatives affected by the storm she grew very upset. Not at me I don't think. It appeared to be a relief on her part to spit it all out. She was putting people up herself in Chicago and she had folks scattered across the country. She was very stressed out. I wanted to hug her. The shock of Katrina made it all the way up the Mississippi to Lake Michigan, yes indeedy.

No comments: