Thursday, May 04, 2006

When were you last in Berwyn? Too long.


Cooksie was kind enough to ask churchbus to play Saturday night at Fitzgerald's out in Berwyn. Fitzgerald's Texas roadhouse atmosphere takes me home. I saw one of my favorite Chicago shows there - Alejandro Escovedo with the Mekons. For a finale, they got together for a rowdy cover of a Tom Petty song, I can't remember which one. You could tell that Alejandro's health was not quite right but you had to look hard to tell the difference between his fatigue and the general inebriation of the other musicians.

This Saturday night Thin Man plays the middle slot. Thin Man is fronted by Newcastle, England native Kennedy Greenrod who is indeed a thin man. His music reminds me of sailor songs of the likes of Shoulders, the Pogues and Tom Waits.

While you're there you can ask John Cook, one of the Cook brothers in Cooksie, what one does on a daily basis as the Trib TV Critic.

No comments: