Thursday, September 07, 2006

This Week's Big Event - hmmm what could that be?

I first heard of Touch and Go Records when I went up to Sound Exchange, er, Record Exchange on Westheimer in the early 90's with a handful of de Schmog singles. I asked Dorothy what I could do about getting the disks out. de Schmog wasn't exactly looking for a label - for one thing we couldn't tour and for another we were gung ho about the whole DIY thing, but some distribution would be nice. Dorothy immediatly brought up Touch and Go. Then she wrote down Corey's contact info. I think I sent some disks (we quickly ran out anyway) but the conversation got me to look closer at what they were doing in Chicago (I know I was slow to come around). Wowee they were putting out some good stuff. I actually already owned a few Touch and Go releases, including "The Greatest Gift" a Scratch Acid anthology. Anyway the point is that for such a small scale homey operation, Corey's reach was far and wide and he earned a good deal of respect from countless numbers of scenester types from small label operators to musicians to fans. I hope this weekend's festival makes him proud. I'll be there for killer Saturday: holy shit Scratch Acid, Killdozer, Big Black and my favorite Welsh ex-pats Jon Langford and Sally Timms (not that you can go a weekend in this town without seeing one of those two somewhere).

In other going's on...

I'll be at JuniorTown's opening this Friday playing a little acoustic music with churchbus trumpeteer Chris Erin. Here's the info (should be good!)

JUNIORTOWN!
1255 W.18th
Pilsen

RE-OPENS THIS FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 8TH 6PM
WITH PART #1 of our '' BACK TO BASICS'' SERIES:

''DRAWING''

FEATURING THE WORK OF:

JOHN SALHUS
KATHLEEN JUDGE
PETER POWER
ANDREW PACZOS
KAYLEE WYANT
DUK JU L KIM
E WILLIAMS
GABRIEL VILLA
JOHN ESSEN
LISA YU

No comments: